I pummel the stop button with my finger and everything stops and all temperatures are set to zero, PHEW. However, there is an aftermath, and a resolution, documented here.... Here is the complete album.
|Angst ended here|
Now, my moment of angst ended like the photo shown. Upon reading the community, everyone says this connector is a ticking time bomb, yet I never thought it would happen to me.. Famous last words, amiright? Am lucky in that the damage started on the far right and stayed away from the thermistor leads, otherwise it would've been more work and/or replace bed itself.
In the picture, you'll notice that one side is smaller than the other. In a later picture will notice had to do this to keep the hole as far from the outer edge as possible, and trimming only one side let me do a little less work. Used a little buffing wheel to make it shiny and remove oxidation.
|Starting the hole|
|Almost to the end|
Even though there was a lot of green stuff left after scraping, figured had exposed enough copper to get great contact with the solder. From that picture did scrape a little more, though was worried would scrape too much so decided to stop.
Another dry fitting of the copper piece proved that had shaved off just enough. Next step was to solder it in place, which was harder than I imagined, though finally got it.
Now, just as am writing this, realized didn't capture a post image of what the top side looks like. Rest assured, it's soldered in place securely but doesn't look all that pretty. That's not the reason no picture, it's I plum forgot. There's a larger overview picture that will be shown later.
Due in no small part to the "fun" I had while soldering everything in place, the copper lug came a little off center. Rather than try and remelt all the solder with my 40 watt iron, chose to use a dremel to make things right! This picture is after I made things right!
Here is another step where I deviated from the guide, only because couldn't find a nylon shoulder washer locally. NOTE: First prices I found on Amazon seem astronomically high. Not sure if it comes in a multi-pack or not, but still very high. With that aside, this is what I should've used.
I squirted this stuff in the hole, around the bolt, and let it sit overnight. Neglected again to take a picture of this process, though have one later.
|Negative wire pad|
Now, here is my glorious soldering job, at least on the negative wire. The soldering iron I have seems to have been a "tad bit" underpowered for the job, though was able to make it work. There shouldn't be all those blobs of solder, yet at this stage didn't want to change a thing. Was more than ready to stop it all.
Now came a problem.. Only had one meter (~3 feet) of wire, and if followed the instructions, wanted me to create a stress relief loop (great idea). Problem with that is would've needed to splice additional wire in place, as control board is on other side of the printer. It was here that a novel idea cometh upon me.
As a cheat trick, instead of waiting overnight for the stuff to firm up, turned the heat on for build plate (also to test) and set it for 60 degrees Celsius. Within 10 minutes the outside was firmed up, and within twenty everything was firm enough. Not quite sure what the longevity of this will be, or if additional damage could happen to the board (like green stuff peeling away), but for now it seems OK.
|Wires connecting to board|
One change not documented in pictures is the thermistor cable. I had recently begun taking apart my MakerFlop(Bot) CupCake 3D printer for parts, and had a female connector that accepted two prongs. Simply cut the old thermistor wire, attached this new one, spliced everything together, and it's all acting hunkey dorey after plugging it in.
Now, from what I gather, after people see the money shot, it's time for cuddling. Here's Paisley and Bob laying on my organic duvet, enjoying quality time together.
|Paisley and Bob|