|What it should look like New, or cleaned and polished|
Sometime, about 9 months ago, I had problems with my rear wheel on the 2006 Aprilia Scarabeo I own. Bought this scooter after my major scooter accident in July of 2009. Was still limping around on a cane when went to look at this and immediately knew it was the one I was meant to have.
The scooter has a few ills to remedy, but the most immediate one is the rear brakes. These were inoperable since I was in Florida last winter. I think they failed on me when the back wheel lost it's nut and was wobbling around in the back. This damaged the rear caliper in that it scraped some metal off, but nothing that ruined it's structural integrity.
First off, here's the complete album. Now, I do realize people are going to say "that's unsafe", and it is / was. However, since it's just me, and the cats, if I did something stupid, or something not so good happened, someone would have a windfall of cashola's. No clue who as no beneficiary is set, at least the government would benefit though fear the would squander like normal (in a bi-partisan way of course).
Now, below are two pictures side by side, of the two halves of the caliper. If notice, on one side (left), where the brake line attached, can see bunch of crud and junk around the inside of the caliper. The round thing in the middle is what pushes out, pushing brake pads against the brake disk. The other side (right as looking from back to front) doesn't have gunk and stuff. From what I could tell, the fluid was leaking from this side. Even with the blurry picture, can see a gap between the two. This, to me, indicates something cleaned that gap out, like brake fluid. Else I would've expected it like the left side.
A quick note here, couldn't remove one of the two bolts holding it together due to the brake line being attached. So, fully remove the other one (top), then loosened bottom and pulled the other side away while was loosening.
Taking out the middle cylinders was easy on the right side, challenging on the left. On the right I was able to blow air into the little hole, shown in right picture in bottom left. Looks a little oily around it. This is where the brake fluid enters and pushes the cylinder out. When blew in this hole the thing almost literally popped out, which was disconcerting, but comforting in a way. On the left side I had to carefully pry it apart.. With these two cylinders out, again, a left and right comparison.
At this stage am slightly concerned about the additional wear (shiny metal) on the right side and worried it wouldn't seal the brake fluid properly. These pieces are machined / manufactured, to very tight tolerances, and almost anything can render it unusable.
|Top rubber ring removed|
|Blurry gasket going in|
|Lubed up and ready|
Next step was to lube up the gaskets in order to slide the brake cylinder in. Tried it dry and, well, let's not go there. Was very unpleasant, hence coming in with the lube. For lube, just used the DOT 3 brake fluid, and coated the inside with it liberally. This photo shows what it looks like, nice and glistening.
|Put back together|
Bleeding brakes with only one person generally isn't the easiest. On a scooter it isn't too bad as can use a wrench and squeeze the brake lever by stretching both arms to the each side. Little tricky tightening the valve back up, but still fairly easy.
|Letting fluid run through|
|All bled and together|
Sounds simple, and in hindsight, it is simple, though was quite unsure of process when i started. Other than the tip I asked mechanic about, really had no idea of what to do. Didn't pull out the shop manual, nor did any research other than finding the part. I generally just jump in and figure it out enroute, which is my MO. Rarely do I research things in depth, though do on occasion. Plus, couldn't break it as it was already not really working..
Went out for a ride test and made sure to speed up, slow down, etc etc. I generally went 40-50 MPH then squeezed both brake levers fairly hard to test the system. Did this a total of about 10 times, or more, plus went for a good 20 minute ride to make sure everything was seated properly. Today, the day after, went out and tested the brakes, still has good pressure.
What's a boring blog entry without a bonus CAT picture.. She looks so serious, but I would rather imagine her thinking "Oh, how i lub you..."
Well, back to Fallout 4.