This project took way longer than it should have, due to what I consider icky instructions and a "slap me silly" moment or two (actually two).
My "number" is 151, and it's Version 1.1. Look forward to many many pounds of plastic extrusion through this beast. I found it actually pretty well engineered, using mostly off the shelf parts and put into a nice little kit.
Two of the first steps are:
- Debur nipple cutout with file, dremel, or deburring tool
- Grind lips of nipples until there is no ridge left on inside of nipple
|Nipple before deburring|
|All done, oh so shiny!|
|Closeup view - straight on|
|Close up view of one end of opening|
|Auger inserted into shaft and secured to support|
|YAY Tools!, err, washer too|
So, this socket, the wonderful DeWalt Impact Ready socket, is labeled as a motor/auger coupling. I actually thought it was meant to tighten some of the bolts down. Oh woe is me. When putting the socket (end which fits on the ratchet), onto the auger motor shaft, it spins freely which is generally not good. That is what the washer is for, to provide the extra material to prevent the free spinning. It was a little wobbly but still sufficient, if everything is assembled properly. I had issues, but people tell me I always have issues.
|Socket, washer, and auger|
|Shaft with coupling/heater|
The brass plug actually goes into the other end of coupling, as shown. In the inventory picture I have three plugs, a blank one, one for 1.7mm and 3mm filament. Am happy got the 3mm filament one as saw a new printer at the 3D world expo in LA that actually uses 3mm, though for the most part new printers use 1.7mm, which think offers more precision for extrusion.
|Completed extruder section|
|Motor mount mounted|
|Auger and motor joined|
|Drilling out fan holes|
Due to reusing a board that was "almost" long enough, had to figure out some way to mount the cooling fan. While am sure this way will cause me challenges in the future, especially since am in an RV, only way could do it now. The original plans called for it to be on the "other side" of the fan mount board, which would keep it protected from the additional risk of being snapped off. Didn't have the luxury due to length of the mounting board.
This led me to reinventory and identify if had any parts leftover which didn't have a home, or I forgot. Found this one piece. It's a reducer to go from one size pipe to another. Scanned the instructions thoroughly and didn't see anyplace where this was referenced at all so it goes into box of unknown parts, or I ziptie it to the extruder...
One minor complaint I had was they didn't show pictures of everything wired up. There are two schematics in the install guide which have to follow in order to wire things up. These schematics are for different types of controllers (for the heater). I was following the wrong one, and when got to last step in there was looking for a #2 connection point that didn't exist. This is when I went, ruh-roh, and saw the other schematic. Had to rewire at this point a little, not too bad.
|Things in right order|
When had motor going right way, the extruder tightened itself up which threw off the hopper a little, as shown here.
It's a little hard to see, but there is a thermistor, which measures temperature, in end of the brass plug. The instructions called for wrapping it in Kapton tape, which is a resistant to high temperatures. Didn't have any handy so chose to go through my garbage, grab piece of aluminum foil, wrap that around the brass thing and secure it all in place with a hose clamp. This seems to work very nice!
|Closer view of extrusion|